Apr 16, 2006

Coffee Musings #2

#2 b/c it's the second post of this sort and my second cup of coffee.
Easter Sunday feels a little different this time around.
When I was younger, it meant a new dress, paying my dues at church and hunting eggs or my father's creation the easter basket scavenger hunt complete with cocnut filled bunny (i love coconut).

Today, I've heard chuch bells all morning, watched families dressed up and heading to church and yet I know that my family will never do these things.
I've never really liked Easter and I'm not so sure I'm onboard with what it means in terms of Christianity - I'mean, really, it's sad...Jesus is killed, nailed to a cross no less and then rises from the dead.

Nonetheless, I cried last night to think that my daughter won't have a similar upbringing to mine whether or not I agree with it- well, that's another story.

As I fell asleep last night, I envisioned her asking me one day, about Easter and why she doesn't celebrate. And I picyured myself saying...

When your daddy and I got married, we believed in God, we were taught different things, knew different traditions but we both believed it God. Your daddy had a stronger sense of what he believed and we agreed that he would teach you the Jewish customs and rituals.
But Emma, you will know God in everything you do...
God is in the sky, in the stars, in the friend that sits next to you on the bus, God wants you to be your best and to treat others well. God is in your heart and mine and looks after us. God shows us how to love.
Above all God shows us love.

No comments: